Spotsylvania Courthouse in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Education in Spotsylvania County
In 1870 Spotsylvania County established a public education system of segregated one-room schools. These schools were gradually abandoned for larger buildings that included both elementary and high school education. The former Spotsylvania High School, which stands before you, was a state-of-the-art building when constructed in 1939 for $158,000.
Most African-American children attended one-room schools until the John J. Wright Consolidated School opened in 1952. The school system was integrated in 1968. Since that time, public education has evolved to the present system of separate elementary, middle, and high schools. As of 2002, there are in excess of 20,000 students attending 27 public schools.
(Caption, picture on left): Built in 1914 at Spotsylvania Courthouse, Robert E. Lee High School became the first accredited high school in the County in 1920. The building
(Caption, picture on right): In 1905, the Spotsylvania Sunday School Union organized with the goal of expanding educational opportunities for African-American children and in 1913 they opened the Snell Training School. This building was destroyed in a fire in 1941.
(Caption, main picture): Students and teachers pose in front of School #1 in 1896.
Erected by Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and the County of Spotsylvania.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 38° 11.716′ N, 77° 35.225′ W. Marker is in Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is on Courthouse Road (Route 208), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8712 Courthouse Rd, Spotsylvania VA 22553, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stubbs School (here, next to this marker); The Good Hope Colored School (here, next to this marker); Forever young, Forever in our hearts (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Spotsylvania High School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Slave Entrance (about 500 feet away); Pastor's OfficeZion Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Civil War Veterans at Rest in Zion's Cemetery (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spotsylvania Courthouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,651 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 20, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.