Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ellendale in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Town of Ellendale

 
 
Town of Ellendale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 12, 2010
1. Town of Ellendale Marker
Inscription.  This area began as forest and swamp bridging the Divide between the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. European Contact made it a province of fur traders and hunters. In the 18th century, farming and timbering pushed back the swamp. With the 1780 Black Camp Insurrection during the American Revolution, the “Nanticoke Swamp” became a refuge for Loyalists. In the Federal era, the Old State Road was built to connect Georgetown with Dover. Railroads came after the Civil War. With emancipation, African Americans took up free lives in the area. The community was first surveyed in 1867, and it soon absorbed the older villages of Federalsburg and New Market. Agricultural and forest products were shipped over the rails. Churches and schools were founded. The Town was incorporated in 1905. Canning and refrigeration strengthened commerce. The DuPont Highway was completed in 1918, and the Ellendale State Forest was established in 1927. The Volunteer Fire Department was organized in April 1920, the Police Department in the 1970’s. Main Street became a highway to the beaches and today the community’s location
Town of Ellendale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 12, 2010
2. Town of Ellendale Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
continues to make it a thoroughfare for commerce and beacon for growth.
 
Erected 2005 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-198.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1920.
 
Location. 38° 48.413′ N, 75° 25.482′ W. Marker is in Ellendale, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Main Street (Delaware Route 16) near McCauley Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Located at the entrance to Town Square by the pagoda. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellendale DE 19941, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ellendale's Railroad Square (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Reynold's Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Reynolds M.E. Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); John Sudler Isaacs (approx. 4.6 miles away); Milton (approx. 6 miles away); Abbott's Mill (approx. 6.1 miles away); Milton Public School #196-C (approx. 6.2 miles away); Slaughter Neck United Methodist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellendale.
 
Town of Ellendale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 12, 2010
3. Town of Ellendale Marker
seen looking west along Main Street, State Route 16
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 624 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=37196

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 31, 2021