“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Overall in Page County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Battle of Milford

Guarding Early's Flank

Battle of Milford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 23, 2010
1. Battle of Milford Marker
In the upper right are portraits of Col. Thomas T. Munford, Gen. James H. Wilson, Gen. Lunsford L. Lomax, and Gen. William H. Powell.
Inscription.  During the Civil War, Milford (present-day Overall) was a small commercial center on the Luray-Front Royal Turnpike. Located in a narrow valley between river and mountains, the village saw more than its share of military action. Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson and his army camped in the area on May 22, 1862, before the Battle of Front Royal. Small engagements occurred here in June 1862 and May 1864.

Two significant battles here occurred in the autumn of 1864. On September 22-24, after Union Gen. Philip H. Sheridan's victory at the Third Battle of Winchester, Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early retreated to a defensible position at Fisher's Hill. To prevent Union forces from encircling his army and blocking his escape route south, Early sent Col. Thomas T. Munford's cavalry to the Page Valley. There they engaged Union Gen. James H. Wilson's cavalry in a series of delaying actions as they fell back to the south. Here at Milford, a natural choke point in the valley, Confederate forces burned the Overall Run Bridge and dug in on the south bank. You can still see the bridge abutments just to the east. Union guns were placed on the
Milford Engagement Map, September 22, 1864 image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 23, 2010
2. Milford Engagement Map, September 22, 1864
bluffs north of Overall Run. Outnumbered more than two to one, the Confederates withstood the Federal artillery barrage and repelled Wilson's flank attack to the east. The Confederate stand allowed Early to escape south after his defeat at Fisher's Hill, much to Sheridan's disappointment. Later, on October 25-26, after Early's defeat at the Battle of Cedar Creek, Confederate Gen. Lunsford L. Lomax's cavalry used the narrow Page Valley terrain here again, to prevent Union Gen. William H. Powell's cavalry from encircling Early's retreating army.

The Milford Battlefield Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 38° 48.337′ N, 78° 20.95′ W. Marker is in Overall, Virginia, in Page County. Marker is at the intersection of Stonewall Jackson Highway (U.S. 340) and Overall Road, on the right when traveling north on Stonewall Jackson Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rileyville VA 22650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Historic Page Valley (here, next to this marker); Overall Bridge (here,
Markers at Overall Run Bridges image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 23, 2010
3. Markers at Overall Run Bridges
next to this marker); Warren County / Page County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Valley Church of God in Christ Jesus (approx. 4.7 miles away); Help Wanted! (approx. 4.8 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 4.8 miles away); A Skyline Drive for a Bird's-Eye View (approx. 7.2 miles away); Come Back When You Have More Time (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Overall.
Also see . . .  Milford Battlefield. (PDF) National Register documentation for the battlefield. (Submitted on October 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,578 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 29, 2020