While most logging camps were short-lived enterprises, Camp Nancy existed for approximately 16 years. The camp's longevity can in part be credited to the technological advances developed and implemented at the site. The Angelina County Lumber Company took advantage of the openness of the woods to replace ox and mule teams with four-line rehaul skidders. The efficiency of the skidders hastened the logging process, as well as the exploitation of the Southeast Texas forest. The company then implemented the first large-scale direct seeding effort in Texas designed to reforest
The camp's logging operations were moved to Tyler County in 1933. The following year, the Civilian Conservation Corps established a work camp at the site and continued reforestation efforts. In 1936, the site became part of Angelina National Forest, and once the CCC camp closed, the site was virtually abandoned.
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16536.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Horticulture & Forestry. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1918.
Location. 31° 6.344′ N, 94° 25.849′ W. Marker is near Zavalla, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 69 and Massey Road, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 69. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Zavalla TX 75980, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U.S. Forest Service in Texas (approx. 6.3 miles away); Joseph Herrington (approx. 10.1 miles away); Site of the Town of Jonesville (approx. 13.1 miles away); Huntington (approx. 14.9 miles away); Homer Cemetery (approx. 16.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,447 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.