Cottage Grove in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Wisconsin Granger Movement
William R. Taylor, local farm leader and Master of this Grange, was elected the Granger Governor of Wisconsin in 1874. He became a contributing force in the efforts to regulate railroads in the state. Ultimately, from these efforts and with the support of the Granges throughout the state, the Railroad Commission was established, later to become the Wisconsin Public Service Commission.
These achievements boosted Wisconsin to a preeminent position as a national leader in public utility regulation.
Erected 1978 by the Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 17.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed Agriculture • Government & Politics • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society series list.
Location. 43° 5.202′ N, 89° 12.626′ W. Marker is in Cottage Grove, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on West Cottage Grove Road (County Highway Bb) half a mile west of Main Street (County Highway N), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cottage Grove WI 53527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alexander Smith House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Conical Mound (approx. 4.2 miles away); Drohman Farm (approx. 4.4 miles away); Hiestand School (approx. 4.9 miles away); Hiestand Park (approx. 5.1 miles away); Boutell House (approx. 5.4 miles away); Reindahl Memorial Park (approx. 5.9 miles away); Edna Taylor Conservation Park (approx. 5.9 miles away).
Regarding The Wisconsin Granger Movement. According to the Houghton Mifflin Reader's Companion to American History, the Granger Movement was a 19th-century political movement by farmers. It began on December 4, 1867, in
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 916 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.