Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lucy Craft Laney
A leading educator of the nineteenth century, Lucy Craft Laney was born into a free African-American household in Macon, Georgia. In 1873 she was part of Atlanta University’s first graduating class. After teaching in Macon, Milledgeville, and Savannah, Laney moved to Augusta, where she founded the Haines Normal and Industrial Institute in 1883. Laney also established the first kindergarten for black children in Augusta, and was instrumental in founding the Lamar Nursing School in 1887. Laney gathered support and recognition from around the country for her work in Augusta. She was buried on the grounds of Lucy Craft Laney Comprehensive High School, site of the former Haines Institute.
Erected 2005 by The Georgia Historical Society and Delta House, Inc./ Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History. (Marker Number 121-10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1116 Phillips Street, Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John McClinton Tutt (within shouting distance of this marker); Haines Normal and Industrial Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. John M. Tutt (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tabernacle Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Stoney Nurses Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Thomas Walter Josey (approx. 0.3 miles away); Reverend C. T. Walker (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Augusta Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . Lucy Craft Laney. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry:
... After teaching in Macon, Savannah, Milledgeville, and Augusta for ten years, "Miss Lucy," as she was generally known, began her own school in 1883 in the basement of Christ Presbyterian Church in Augusta. ... (Submitted on October 27, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,254 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 27, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.