Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Elberton in Elbert County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bethlehem Methodist Church

>>>------>

 
 
Bethlehem Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 11, 2010
1. Bethlehem Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Bethlehem Methodist Church, second oldest Methodist Church in Georgia and formerly known as Thompson’s Meeting House, sponsored the First Methodist Annual Conference in Georgia, on April 9, 1788. Bishop Asbury and his party, delayed by weather and illness, held the meeting, scheduled for the church, in the home of Judge Charles Tait. Richard Ivey, Thomas Humphries, Moses Parks, Hope Hull, James Connor, Bennett Maxey, Isaac Smith, Matthew Harris, Reuben Ellis, John Mason attended the conference. Several Revolutionary soldiers are buried near the church.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 052-7.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1779.
 
Location. 34° 3.906′ N, 82° 41.082′ W. Marker is near Elberton, Georgia, in Elbert County. Marker is at the intersection of Welcome Church Road and Calhoun Falls Highway (Georgia Route 72), on the right when traveling
Bethlehem Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 11, 2010
2. Bethlehem Methodist Church Marker
Welcome Church Road is to the right, and Calhoun Falls Road (GA 77) is in the background.
Click or scan to see
this page online
south on Welcome Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1025 Welcome Church Road, Elberton GA 30635, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonists’ Crossing (approx. 1.8 miles away); Millwood (approx. 2.8 miles away in South Carolina); Olin D. Johnston Memorial Boulevard (approx. 2.8 miles away in South Carolina); Gov. Heard’s Home (approx. 3˝ miles away); "Old Dan Tucker" (approx. 3˝ miles away); Welcome to Calhoun Falls State Recreation Area (approx. 4˝ miles away in South Carolina); Calhoun Falls World War I and II Veterans Monument (approx. 5.3 miles away in South Carolina); Richard B. Russell Dam (approx. 6 miles away in South Carolina). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elberton.
 
Bethlehem Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 11, 2010
3. Bethlehem Methodist Church Marker
Looking northwest on Welcome Church Road at the intersection with Calhoun Falls Road (GA 72)
Bethlehem Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 11, 2010
4. Bethlehem Methodist Church Marker
Looking southeast on Welcome Church Road at the marker, the cemetery behind it, and the church in the distance
Bethlehem Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 11, 2010
5. Bethlehem Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 810 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=37333

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 20, 2022