Windsor in Essex County, Ontario — Central Canada
French Settlement on the South Shore
Front - In English
Windsor is the oldest known site of continuous settlement in Ontario. The government of New France, anxious to increase its presence on the Detroit River, offered land agricultural settlement on the south shore in 1749. That summer families from the lower St. Lawrence River relocated to lots which began about 6.5 km downstream from here. Along with civilians and discharged soldiers from Fort Pontchartrain (Detroit), they formed the community of La Petite Cote. Additional waterfront lots, including this site, were laid out in 1751. These extended from the Huron mission located in the vicinity of the present Ambassador Bridge, to the Ottawa village situated opposite the fort. When the French regime ended in 1760, about 300 settlers were living here.
Reverse - In French
Établissement français sur la rive sud. Windsor est le plus ancien site peuplé de façon continue en Ontario. Le gouvernement de la Nouvelle-France, désireux d'intensifier sa présence sur la rivière Détroit, offre, en 1749, des terres pour l'exploitation agricole sur la rive Sud. Pendant l'été, des familles du bas Saint Laurent
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Communications.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian.
Location. 42° 19.213′ N, 83° 2.434′ W. Marker is in Windsor, Ontario, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Ouellette Avenue and Viale Udine, on the right when traveling north on Ouellette Avenue. This historical marker is located in the downtown area, in the community's public park, on the Detroit River, directly across the river from downtown Detroit, Michigan. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Windsor, Ontario N9A 6T3, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rt. Hon. Herb Gray, PC., C.C., Q.C. (here, next to this marker); The Detroit River (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Great Western Railway (about 180 meters away); The Francois Baby House (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); The Battle of Windsor - 1838 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Underground Railroad in Canada (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Original Home of Major F.A. Tilston V.C. Armoury (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Gateway to Freedom (approx. 0.7 kilometers away in the U.S.). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Windsor.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,405 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 29, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2. submitted on May 10, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. 3, 4. submitted on October 29, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on May 10, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. 6. submitted on October 29, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.