Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Hiawassee in Towns County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Towns County

 
 
Towns County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 3, 2010
1. Towns County Marker
Inscription.  Towns County was created by Act of March 6, 1856 from Rabun and Union Counties. It was named for George Washington Towns, Governor of Georgia from 1847~1851. Gov. Towns was born in Wilkes County, May 4, 1801, of a Virginia family. Self-educated, he was a merchant, lawyer, legislator, state senator, Congressman. He died in 1854. First officers of Towns County, commissioned April 21, 1856, were: Andrew I. Burch, Sheriff; Martin L. Burch, Clerk Superior Court; James H. Moore, Clerk Inferior Court; Milton Brown, Tax Receiver; George M. Denton, Tax Collector; Robert S. Patton, Coroner; James Alston, Surveyor; John W. Holmes, Ordinary.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 139-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationIndustry & CommerceLaw EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 34° 56.837′ N, 83° 45.42′ W. Marker is in
Towns County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 3, 2010
2. Towns County Marker
The Towns County Courthouse is in the background
Hiawassee, Georgia, in Towns County. Marker is at the intersection of South Berrong Street and River Street, on the right when traveling east on South Berrong Street. The marker stands in front of the Towns County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hiawassee GA 30546, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brasstown Bald (approx. 5.9 miles away); Quanassee Town and the Spikebuck Mound (approx. 7˝ miles away in North Carolina); In Memory Our War Dead (approx. 7.6 miles away in North Carolina); Fort Hembree (approx. 7.6 miles away in North Carolina); George W. Truett (approx. 7.7 miles away in North Carolina); a different marker also named Brasstown Bald (approx. 8.1 miles away); Track Rock Gap (approx. 8.1 miles away); Union County (approx. 12.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Towns County. A Wikipedia entry for the county. (Submitted on July 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Towns County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 3, 2010
3. Towns County Courthouse
The first Towns County Courthouse was built on the public square in 1857. A second was built in 1905, and served until the current courthouse was built in 1964.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 813 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on October 30, 2010, by R. Zebley of Rapid City, South Dakota. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 14, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 19, 2020