Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Zwaanendael Club
Founded in 1905, the Zwaanendael Club was organized by a group of public-spirited women for the purpose of promoting community improvement through volunteer service. For a number of years the club’s meetings were held in the homes of members, and at various other locations in the town. Their first meeting at this location was on October 7, 1930. It was decided to set up a lending library and offer use of the building to various community organizations. The facility was expanded in the 1930s with the construction of an addition on Third Street. The Zwaanendael Club Building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1865.
Location. 38° 46.456′ N, 75° 8.363′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of Savannah Road (U.S. 9) and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east on Savannah Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zwaanendael House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewes (within shouting distance of this marker); H.M. Brig DeBraak (within shouting distance of this marker); World Wars I and II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); David Hall House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fisher-Martin House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The New Devon Inn (about 400 feet away); Dodds Corner (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
Regarding The Zwaanendael Club. Zwaanendael Club brings Lewes past to light The Zwaanendael Women’s Club was founded in 1905 by a group of community-minded women in Lewes dedicated to
community improvement through volunteering. It joined
(Cape Gazette Beach Newspaper...Fri, Jun 18, 2010 )
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 703 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 2, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.