Montevallo in Shelby County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Montevallo High School
The school first fielded a football team in 1930. Coached by Leon Hicks, the first game was played against Piper - Coleanor HS, the longest serving coach has been Theron K. Fisher (1947-1966) for whom the stadium was named in 1977. The blue and orange school colors were adopted circa 1936. In 1969-1970, MHS and the African-American Prentice HS merged.
One of the earliest schools resembling a modern high school was the Montevallo Male & Female Collegiate Institute incorporated in 1858 and operated by the Cumberland
Researched by Katie Gothard.
Erected by the MHS Class of 1952. Emily Vest Pendleton, President.
Erected 2004 by Cahaba Trace Commission / MHS Class of 1952.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list.
Location. 33° 6.224′ N, 86° 51.66′ W. Marker is in Montevallo, Alabama, in Shelby County Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 980 Oak Street, Montevallo AL 35115, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. University Of Montevallo National Historic District (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alabama Historical Association (about 400 feet away); King House (about 600 feet away); Welcome To Historic Montevallo (approx. ¼ mile away); Town of Wilton (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Liberty Bell Garden (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Liberty Bell (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Colonial Courthouse/The Stocks and Pillory (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montevallo.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,064 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 31, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.