Near Bergholz in Jefferson County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Tablet No. 12 Erected July 1913
Erected 1913. (Marker Number 12.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the John Hunt Morgan’s Raid - Jefferson County, Ohio series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1872.
Location. 40° 30.634′ N, 80° 53.812′ W. Marker is near Bergholz, Ohio, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from County Route 49, 0.1 miles west of Ohio Route 164, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bergholz OH 43908, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bergholz Cemetery Veteran's Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bergholz-Overnight at Nebo (approx. 0.6 miles away); Morgan's Raid (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bergholz Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Eastern-Nearing The End (approx. 1.1 miles away); Amsterdam Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Forest Wendell Buchanan (approx. 3 miles away); World War II Honor Roll (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bergholz.
More about this marker. The marker is actually located about 100 yards SSE of the road, half-buried at the northeast corner of a bridge over the Elkhorn Branch of Yellow Creek. This abandoned road was part of a pike that led from East Springfield through Circle Green to Nebo (the community on the west side of Yellow Creek that was absorbed by Bergholz in 1906 when the village was incorporated (www.garlock-elliot.org/places/doyle_twp/12springfield.html).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The bronze tablet for this marker (#12) is actually afixed to a marker (#13) at the south end of Bergholz.
On July 25-26, 1863, near the end of his Indiana-Ohio Raid, Confederate Gen. John Morgan's cavalry forces crisscrossed Jefferson County, Ohio. On the raid’s 50th anniversary, a Three Wars Celebration was held in Steubenville to honor Revolutionary War, Civil War and Spanish-American War soldiers. The Stanton Monument Association, originally formed to erect a statue of Lincoln War Secretary and Steubenville native Edwin Stanton (completed in 1911), organized the three-day 1913 extravaganza. Along the route of the Great Raid, 14 granite monuments were installed, each “about 1,800 pounds, being twenty inches square, resting on a concrete foundation, and four feet high, with a front bevel to receive a suitable bronze tablet 16x24 inches.”
— Submitted November 2, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,104 times since then and 222 times this year. Last updated on November 1, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. 4. submitted on September 30, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.