Greendale in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wisconsin's Lime Industry
The limestone works of Trimborn Farm Park and nearby quarries represent a relatively unaltered nineteenth century example of the lime industry. Werner Trimborn began his lime business here in 1851, and it became one of the largest in Milwaukee County. The lime industry expanded with the construction boom in Milwaukee in the 1880’s but then declined, ending about 1900 due to increased fuel costs and importation of new building materials. By then, dairying had become the main business of Trimborn Farms.
The Trimborn barn and kilns and neighboring Jeremiah Curtin House remain as excellent example of the
Erected 1986 by Wisconsin State Historical Society. (Marker Number 279.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 42° 56.678′ N, 88° 1.453′ W. Marker is in Greendale, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on W. Grange Ave., ¼ mile east of S. 92nd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8801 W Grange Ave, Greendale WI 53129, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boyhood Home of Jeremiah Curtin (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Janesville Plank Road (approx. half a mile away); John Voight - Boerner Botanical Gardens Director, 1941-1979 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Black Botanical Heritage: (approx. ¾ mile away); Early 1900s Business District (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hales Corners – A Farm Village (approx. 1.2 miles away); The German Evangelical Church / Brach’s Animal Hospital (approx. 1.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 884 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.