Carmel in Putnam County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Homestead of Addison J. Hopkins was in this area in the 1800's. Descendant of Stephen Hopkins, signer of the Mayflower Compact and Joseph Hopkins of Cape Cod one of Carmel's original settlers.
Placed here by Richard C. Hopkins and Susan A. Hopkins
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 23.36′ N, 73° 39.81′ W. Marker is in Carmel, New York, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of Stoneleigh Road (County Route 35) and Drewville Road (County Route 36), on the right when traveling south on Stoneleigh Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carmel NY 10512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gilead Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Gilead Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Enoch Crosby (Harvey Birch) (approx. 1.4 miles away); Isaac Merrick (approx. 2.1 miles away); Drew Ladies Seminary (approx. 2.2 miles away); Hazen Hill Brewster Soldiers Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away); Brewster Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carmel.
Regarding Hopkins Corners. Addison J. Hopkins was born in Carmel in 1812. His father, Solomon, grandfather, Jeremiah, great-grandfather, Solomon, and great-great-grandfather, Joseph, were all residents of this county. The family originally came from Massachusetts and are descended from Stephen Hopkins, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Mr. Hopkins was educated at the common schools and was a farmer and stockdealer. He was assessor of Kent one term and supervisor of the same town. He was coroner one term and county treasurer one term. For many years he was a director of the Putnam County National Bank. He was married in 1855 to Louisa M. Blair, of Aurora, Ohio.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 771 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 3, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.