Hopkins in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This rural community grew up around the plantation of John Hopkins (1739-1775). Hopkins, a native of Virginia, settled here in 1764. A surveyor and planter, he was later a delegate to the First Provincial Congress of 1775. Between 1836 and 1842, when the South Carolina RR line from Kingville to Columbia was completed, a turntable was named “Hopkins’ Turnout” for the family.
The Hopkins’ Turnout post office opened in 1849. After the Civil War many freedmen, freedwomen, and their families settled in the area, some farming land they had purchased during Reconstruction from the S.C. Land Commission. The completion of the Wilmington, Columbia, & Augusta RR in 1871 expanded area markets, until the agricultural depression of the 1920s weakened the local economy.
Erected 2010 by South East Rural Community Outreach. (Marker Number 40-169.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 54.325′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hopkins SC 29061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harriet Barber House (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Harriet Barber House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Minervaville (approx. 2½ miles away); New Light Beulah Baptist Church (approx. 3½ miles away); Horrell Hill (approx. 3.8 miles away); James H. Adams (approx. 4.2 miles away); Robert H. Morrell Road (approx. 4.2 miles away); Barnie Jordan Jr. Memorial Highway (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hopkins.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 585 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 4, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.