Gilboa in Schoharie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Cotton Mill 1840-1869, Tannery
Church & Cemetery Stood On
Ground now Covered by Reservoir
Of New York City Water Supply
Erected 1949 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 23.544′ N, 74° 26.802′ W. Marker is in Gilboa, New York, in Schoharie County. Marker is on New York State Route 990V, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gilboa NY 12076, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cabin of John More (approx. 3.2 miles away); Stone Bridge (approx. 3.6 miles away); Manor House (approx. 4 miles away); Reformed Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Indian Trail (approx. 5.3 miles away); Gen. Freegift Patchin (approx. 5.3 miles away); Col. Zadock Pratt (approx. 5.4 miles away); World War (approx. 5˝ miles away).
Regarding Gilboa Settlement.
In 1926, The 120-foot high Gilboa Dam was completed on the Schoharie Creek, which is a tributary of the Mohawk River, forming the Schoharie Reservoir. The original settlement of Gilboa was razed and flooded as part of this project that supplied New York City with water. A new settlement was established north of the reservoir.
The 120-foot high concrete and stone brick Gilboa Dam in Schoharie County completed in 1926 that was created to be one of 19 reservoirs that supplies New York City with water. The Gilboa Dam impounds waters of the Schoharie Creek creating the Schoharie Reservoir which consists of a single 6-mile basin, containing 17.6 billion gallons of water at full capacity, making it one of the smaller New York City reservoirs.
Additional keywords. Schoharie Reservoir
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,062 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 4, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.