Fairmount in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Indian Mission United Methodist Church
The church was formally incorporated on May 23, 1915. In 1921 a new building was constructed and named Indian Mission M.P. Church. The Nanticoke people continue to hold their religious services here, and the church continues to provide cohesiveness for the Nanticoke to retain their Native heritage and culture.
The oldest marked grave is that of Ann Johnson, who died October 7, 1885. Indian Mission United Methodist Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on April 26, 1979.
Erected 2002 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-122.)
Topics and series. Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1922.
Location. 38° 40.386′ N, 75° 14.056′ W. Marker is in Fairmount, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Harbeson Road (Delaware Route 5) near Hollymount Road (County Road 48), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harbeson DE 19951, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint George's Chapel (approx. 1.2 miles away); St. Georges Chapel (approx. 1.2 miles away); Zoar Methodist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Rabbit's Ferry School 201-C (approx. 3.9 miles away); St. John's Methodist Church (approx. 4 miles away); Patton Medium Tank (approx. 4.3 miles away); Chair of Honor (approx. 4.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away).
Regarding Indian Mission United Methodist Church. National Register of Historic Places:
Indian Mission Church ** (added 1979 - Building - #79003307)
Historic Significance: Event
Area of Significance: Native American
Cultural Affiliation: Nanticoke Tribe •
Period of Significance: 1900-1924 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 952 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.