DeForest in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
De Forest Centennial
1863 - 1963
The native hand-hewn rock in this monument came from the original De Forest home in Madison, which he built in 1853. The structure, at the corner of Park and State streets, later was used as the Administration Building by the University of Wisconsin. The building was razed in 1965.
Erected 1966 by DeForest Area Citizens.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 43° 14.797′ N, 89° 20.431′ W. Marker is in DeForest, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of DeForest Street and South Durkee Street, on the right when traveling east on DeForest Street. The marker is in Fireman's Park in DeForest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: De Forest WI 53532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesThe De Forest Depot (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Andreas Dahl (approx. 0.2 miles away); Our Bell (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the First Well in DeForest (approx. 0.8 miles away); Token Creek (approx. 4.2 miles away); Ella Wheeler Wilcox (approx. 4.3 miles away); Maureen Mengelt Memorial (approx. 5.8 miles away); Schumacher Farm (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in DeForest.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 588 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.