Mendota in Dakota County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
General Henry Hastings Sibley
[symbol of the Daughters of the American Revolution; image of the Sibley House]
To the glory of God and in memory of General Henry Hastings Sibley. Born February 20, 1811, died February 18, 1891. A great patriot - soldier - statesman. This historic marker is built of the only remaining stone from the pioneer church erected by General Sibley in 1847 as a place of worship; "for Christians of all denominations." The church stood upon a high hill opposite this site.
Dedication services in Holiness unto the Lord Sunday, June 5, 1955 and Monday, June 6, 1955.
Given by Nathan Hale Chapter Number 178 National Society Daughters of the American Revolution St. Paul, Minnesota
Erected 1955 by the Nathan Hale Chapter Number 178, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 44° 53.23′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mendota MN 55150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Where the Waters Meet" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Faribault House (about 300 feet away); The First Stone House (about 300 feet away); Mendota / Sibley House Association (about 300 feet away); Henry Sibley and Old Mendota (about 300 feet away); Sibley House Historic Site (about 400 feet away); St. Peter's Church (about 700 feet away); Mendota / Sibley House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mendota.
Also see . . . Minnesota Department of Transportation. Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventory. "The limestone used to construct the marker was obtained from the remains of a non-denominational church that Henry Sibley constructed on a hill across from this site. The limestone was probably quarried locally, perhaps from the same quarry where the stone for the Sibley House was obtained. The limestone in this marker may therefore have been some of the first quarried in Minnesota." (Submitted on November 5, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 927 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 5, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.