Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
a pathway to safety
This photograph provides a rare view of the battle period streetscape of the eastern portion of Gettysburg. Although taken ca. 1867 little change from July 1863 is in evidence (including the muddy street). The horse with rider stands in the intersection with E Middle Street. The 2-½ story wooden house at the left of the horseman, the German reformed Church (now Trinity) in the center background and the public school building in the far right background (with bell cupola) all remain standing today.
Erected by Main Street Gettysburg, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. a site for two legends (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettys Crossroads and Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettys' Tavern Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "harboring Confederates" (about 300 feet away); Roll of Honor (about 400 feet away); Amos Humiston (about 400 feet away); Grand Army of the Republic Hall (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker features a photograph depicting “South Stratton Street, ca. 1867. Confederate General Jubal Early’s troops occupied this part of town from the evening of July 1 through July 3, 1863.”
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 660 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 6, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.