Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Playas in Hidalgo County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Playas Siding

 
 
Playas Siding Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 3, 2010
1. Playas Siding Marker
Inscription.  In 1902, Phelps, Dodge and Company built the El Paso and Southwestern Railroad to link El Paso, Texas with the copper mines of Bisbee, Arizona, and eventually, with several other mining towns throughout the region. Highway 9, New Mexico’s “Border Route” between Columbus and Rodeo, parallels the old rail line, and actually utilizes a portion of the abandoned EP & SW railroad bed between Columbus and Anapra.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
 
Location. 31° 58.276′ N, 108° 37′ W. Marker is near Playas, New Mexico, in Hidalgo County. Marker is on State Road 9 at milepost 25.5 east of Baker Ranch Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Playas NM 88009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Clanton Hideout (approx. 11.3 miles away); Smugglers’ Trail (approx. 11.3 miles away).
 
Playas Siding Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 3, 2010
2. Playas Siding Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Rear of Playas Siding Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 3, 2010
3. Rear of Playas Siding Marker
Corrals Near the Abandoned Railroad Bed at Playas Siding. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 3, 2010
4. Corrals Near the Abandoned Railroad Bed at Playas Siding.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 834 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 10, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=37772

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 19, 2022