Millett in Allendale County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Speedwell Methodist Church
This church, founded in 1885, was named Speedwell for a stagecoach stop and the first post office in the vicinity, now Millett. In 1884-85 Ogreta Brabham Dunbar and Savannah Barker Bates raised funds for a new congregation, in what was then Barnwell County. In 1885 Mary Dunbar Lafitte and her husband John H. Lafitte donated a five-acre tract here for the church.
The first church on this site, built about 1885, was replaced by the present church, begun in 1922 during the pastorate of Rev. W.R. Jones. It remained unfinished during the Depression but was dedicated in 1941 during the pastorate of Rev. J.A. Graham. Attendance declined in the 1960s, and regular services ended by 1970. Homecomings are still occasionally held here.
Erected 2010 by The Friends of Speedwell Methodist Church. (Marker Number 3-13.)
Location. 33° 5.03′ N, 81° 32.5′ W. Marker is in Millett, South Carolina, in Allendale County. Marker is on Speedwell Church Road (State Highway 3-369 Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Martin SC 29836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tarlton Brown (1757 - 1845) (approx. 7.1 miles away); Boiling Springs Academy (approx. 7.3 miles away); Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 8.2 miles away in Georgia); Brick (Bethel) Church (approx. 8.2 miles away in Georgia); Lower Three Runs Baptist Church (approx. 8.7 miles away); Concord Baptist Church (approx. 9.4 miles away); Burton's Ferry (approx. 10.3 miles away in Georgia).
Topics. This marker is included in this topic list: Churches & Religion
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 857 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.