Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Founded by Lucas Sullivant
Site of War of 1812 Encampment
General William Henry Harrison, Commander
Land Office and "Harrison House"
NSUS Daughters of 1812 - Ohio
Erected by NSUS Daughters of 1812 - Ohio.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #09 William Henry Harrison, and the United States Daughters of 1812, National Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 39° 57.628′ N, 83° 0.95′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broad Street (U.S. 40) and North Gift Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broad Street. This historical marker is affixed to the front side of the "Harrison House," very near the southeast corner of the structure. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 570 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceThe Harrison House (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Franklinton (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Franklinton (a few steps from this marker); Lucas Sullivant Home Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station / Macklin Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Franklinton Cemetery Archaeology (approx. 0.4 miles away); “In This Churchyard…” (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Franklinton Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
More about this marker. During the War of 1812, in the year 1813, this historical marker was located at the site not only of a military encampment, but also of the Headquarters of General William H. Harrison. It is strategically located at the southern end of the Harrison Military Road which ran north, partially along the Scioto - Sandusky Indian Trail, all the way to the mouth of the Portage River, where it empties into Lake Erie.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 710 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.