Minneapolis in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Richard Chute Square
When the city of Minneapolis acquired the land for a park in 1903, it was named in honor of businessman Richard Chute, an early University of Minnesota regent and a director of the St. Anthony Waterpower Company.
The Ard Godfrey House, which was owned by the Chute family from 1880 until its purchase by the Hennepin County Territorial Pioneers Association in 1905, was moved to Chute Square in 1909. The building was operated as a museum by the Pioneers Association until 1943. Restored and furnished by the Woman's Club of Minneapolis, the Godfrey House was reopened to the public in 1979. The kitchen wing, demolished in 1908, was rebuilt in 1985 with funds raised by Woman's Club members and a generous grant from Boisclair Corporation.
Erected 1985 by members of the Chute family.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 44° 59.218′ N, 93° 15.359′ W. Marker is in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. Marker is at the intersection of Bank Street Southeast and Ortman Street Southeast on Bank Street Southeast. Marker is in Richard Chute Square Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 28 University Avenue Southeast, Minneapolis MN 55414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ard Godfrey House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Church of Our Lady of Lourdes (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Symbols on the Skyline (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eliza Winston (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Whirlpool (approx. 0.2 miles away); Main Street Builds (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Falls That Built the City (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stepping Stone Between East and West (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Minneapolis.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 791 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.