Selbyville in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Salem United Methodist Church
The growth of the town and the prosperity of the congregation resulted in the desire for a new facility. In 1884 a new building was completed at the present site. This structure remained in use until 1911, when it was moved to an adjoining lot where a school had formerly stood. For a time the old building was also used for school purposes. It was destroyed by fire in 1922.
Construction of the present church was commenced in 1911 following the relocation of the older structure. A new parsonage was constructed as well. Total cost of
Erected 1998 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-128.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 38° 27.574′ N, 75° 13.4′ W. Marker is in Selbyville, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Church Street (Delaware Route 17) near Church Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Selbyville DE 19975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of John G. Townsend, Jr. (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); John McCabe (approx. 0.4 miles away); Frankford United Methodist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); St. Martin's Church (approx. 4.7 miles away in Maryland); Old Sound Methodist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Antioch Camp Meeting (approx. 5 miles away); Dagsboro (approx. 6.2 miles away); Prince George's Chapel (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Selbyville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 504 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 13, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.