Valatie in Columbia County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Welcome to Valatie
The Dutch established grist and lumber mills on the Kinderhook Creek and Valatie Kill. About 1820, large cotton mills began being built. Eventually there were nine mills. Valatie became one of the nation’s earliest industrial centers.
The mills attracted workers, tradesmen, merchants and professionals. By the 1840’s, Valatie was a vibrant village filled with stores, churches and other facilities, making its Main Street the commercial center of Northern Columbia County. It remained so until the mills closed or moved south after WWII.
The village, which was incorporated in 1856, is noted for the Valatie Santa Claus Club, “First In The Nation,” its outstanding military service record, and as the home town of Gov. Martin H. Glynn, progressive leader and a founder of Ireland”.
Guide to Historic Valatie : D.C. Lizzi, Village Historian
Because of its community spirit, institutions,
“What a Village Should Be”
Mayor Gary Strevell and Village Board
Erected by Village of Valatie.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 24.803′ N, 73° 40.608′ W. Marker is in Valatie, New York, in Columbia County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valatie NY 12184, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Luke’s Lutheran Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Glynn Homestead (about 400 feet away); John Vanderpoel Home c.1825 (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Valatie (about 700 feet away); Nathan Wild House (about 700 feet away); Valatie World War I Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gov. Glynn Square (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valatie.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 808 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.