El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The First United States Soldiers to Be Stationed at the Pass of the North
1848 – 1948
November 7, 1848
The First United States Soldiers
to be stationed at the Pass of the North
Camped in this Area
of the Third Infantry
Major Jefferson Van Horne Commanding
arrived in El Paso September 8, 1849,
to establish the New Post,
Designated the Post of El Paso
Erected 1948 by the Citizens of El Paso.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Military. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1888.
Location. 31° 45.577′ N, 106° 29.286′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is at the intersection of North Mesa Street and West Mills Avenue, on the left when traveling north on North Mesa Street. Marker is located on the southeast corner of San Jacinto Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: El Paso TX 79901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hotel Cortez (within shouting distance of this marker); El Paso's Chinese Community (within shouting San Jacinto Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); El Camino Real (within shouting distance of this marker); El Paso County (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Sidewalk Clock (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of United States Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Elite Confectionary (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 636 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.