El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of United States Courthouse
The United States Courthouse, which stood on this site from 1892 to 1936, was the scene of hundreds of arraignments, hearings and trials during the Mexican Revolution. Some of these legal proceedings involved Magónistas, or radical Liberal Party followers of Ricardo Flores Magón, who called for armed revolts against the Díaz regime. After their failed uprisings in 1906 and 1908, Ricardo Flores Magón and his brother Enrique were indicted for conspiracy. Others indicted and arraigned included Lauro Aguirre, Prisciliano Silvia, Antonio Villareal, and Lázaro Gutierrez de Lara.
In the 1910s deposed Mexican President Victoriano Huerta and revolutionary Pascual Orozco were formally charged with violating United States neutrality laws here after planning to overthrow President Venustiano Carranza. But El Paso Mayor Tom Lea, Sr. feared the large crowds at the courthouse and arranged for Huerta and Orozco to be transferred to Fort Bliss. Orozco escaped and was killed near Van Horn, Texas on August 30, 1915, by a posse of sheriff's officers and citizens of El Paso and Culberson counties. Huerta remained under house arrest and died
Años después Victoriano Huerta y Pascual Orozco fueron formalmente acusados de haber violado las leyes de neutralidad de los Estados Unidos, después de haber planeado el derrocamiento del Presidente Venustiano Carranza. El Presidente Municipal Tom Lea, Sr., temiendo la agrupación de las multitudes en los tribunales, ordenó el traslado de ambos al Fuerte Bliss. Orozco se escapó y murió cerca de Van Horn, Tejas el 30 de agosto, 1915, por manos del cuerpo de alguaciles y ciudadanos de los condados de El Paso y Culberson. Huerta permaneció bajo arresto domiciliario y murió en el Fuerte Bliss el 16 de enero, 1916 y fue enterrado en el Cementerio Evergreen.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1873.
Location. 31° 45.535′ N, 106° 29.295′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is on North Oregon Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located just south of Mills Avenue at the bus stop. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: El Paso TX 79901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Paso's Chinese Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Sidewalk Clock (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Kindergarten in Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); LULAC (within shouting distance of this marker); The Woman's Club of El Paso (within shouting distance of this marker); El Camino Real (within shouting distance of this marker); El Paso's First Newspaper (within shouting distance of this marker); The First United States Soldiers to Be Stationed at the Pass of the North (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study the marker shown.
Additional keywords. Mexican Revolution
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 874 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on August 30, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.