Poughkeepsie in Dutchess County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Glebe House
Erected 1935 by State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 41° 41.897′ N, 73° 54.705′ W. Marker is in Poughkeepsie, New York, in Dutchess County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Church Street and Fountain Place, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 635 Main St, Poughkeepsie NY 12601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Poughkeepsie Civil War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Dutchess County War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); 5th Ward Honor Roll (approx. 0.7 Mills Gate (approx. ¾ mile away); Bennett Gate (approx. ¾ mile away); Southside Historic District (approx. 0.9 miles away); On This Site (approx. one mile away); In Affectionate Memory (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Poughkeepsie.
Also see . . . Glebe House, Poughkeepsie, New York. “The Glebe House itself was constructed in 1767 as a Georgian red brick building on a rubble stone foundation. It was to serve rectory for The Reverend John Beardsley, who ministered at Christ Church, Poughkeepsie and Trinity Church in Fishkill, and his family in 1767. Since Beardsley was a Loyalist, he and his entire household were forced to flee to New York City in December 1777 to seek protection of the British during the American Revolutionary War.” (Submitted on November 13, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 579 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.