Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Boonton in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Holmes Library

 
 
Holmes Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 13, 2010
1. Holmes Library Marker
Inscription.  Original Greek Revival dwelling built for commercial use 1849. Purchased for residence 1856 by James Holmes, prominent Boonton citizen. Building enlarged and converted to Holmes Library 1893.

National Register of Historic Places • New Jersey Register of Historic Places
 
Erected by Morris County Heritage Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 40° 54.31′ N, 74° 24.66′ W. Marker is in Boonton, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Main Street (County Route 511) just east of Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boonton NJ 07005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boonton Civil War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Morris Canal Plane 7 East (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Garret Rickards House (about 700 feet away); Dr. John Taylor House
Holmes Library and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 13, 2010
2. Holmes Library and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¼ mile away); Andrew M. Emery Memorial Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Boonton Railroad Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Boonton Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Boonton Fire Department 100th Anniversary (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boonton.
 
Also see . . .  Library History. “Boonton’s first library, financed by subscription, opened in 1890 and in short time, needed larger quarters. Knowing the value of a town library, a leading citizen named James Holmes, willed his house and a sum of money to the people of Boonton upon his death in 1893 for the establishment of this facility. The property was originally purchased from the Iron Company in 1849 by Eliza Scott, and the two story structure built was used for stores. Mr. Holmes had purchased the building in 1856, and converted to a private home in 1870.” (Submitted on November 13, 2010.) 
 
Holmes Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 1, 2016
3. Holmes Library Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 647 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3. submitted on July 4, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=37923

Paid Advertisement
Aug. 2, 2021