Sheldon in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Riot on the Cosumnes
Riot on the Cosumnes.
Erected 2001 by New Helvetia Chapter No.5, E. Clampus Vitus in cooperation with Douglas & Barbara Silva, Proprietors of Silva’s Sheldon Inn.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1846.
Location. 38° 25.866′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8998 Grant Line Road, Elk Grove CA 95624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the First County Free Library Branch in California (approx. 3.6 miles away); Hasman Building/General Store (approx. 3.7 miles away); Independent Order of Odd Fellows (approx. 3.8 miles away); Rhoads School (approx. 4.6 miles away); Elitha Cumi Donner - Wilder (approx. 4.8 miles away); Old Elk Grove (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Lincoln Highway (approx. 4.9 miles away); Murphy’s Corral (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Regarding Riot on the Cosumnes. Jared Sheldon was born in Vermont. In 1832 he was in Quincy, Illinois and in 1834 was teaching school in Berne, Indiana where he married Mary Edwards in Iowa, she died six months later. In 1838 he was farming in Quincy, Illinois and bought land in St. Louis, Missouri. He then signed on as a guard for an expedition to Sante Fe and then transferred to a party heading for California. He became ill and was left behind. In 1840 he arrived in California with a passport issued in Sonora, Mexico. He was a carpenter, school teacher
As payment for his work at the Customs House in Monterey he was offered a land grant, however he first had to find the land, convert to Catholicism and become a Mexican citizen.
He left Monterey and headed to Sutter’s Fort to find employment. While there he met up with his friend from Monterey, William Daylor. Daylor, also employed by John Sutter was sent out to find a herd of horses that had gotten free. He located the horses south of the Fort at an Indian camp near the Consumnes River. As he didn’t speak the language of these Miwoks, he returned to the Fort to get Sheldon, who was familiar with their language. Upon their return, they found a beautiful valley and Sheldon knew that this is where he wanted to settle. The Daylor-Sheldon partnership was formed and after following through with all the requirements, Sheldon was awarded the Omochumney Rancho, which consisted of five leagues of land – 22, 130 acres. One section became known as the Daylor Ranch and the remaining section, the Sheldon Ranch.
It was on this ranch that Sheldon built his gristmill.
[Source: Historic Cosumnes and The Slough House
Pioneer Cemetery, by Norma B. Ricketts - D.U.P.]
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers located in Sloughhouse, site of the home and gristmill of Jared Sheldon.
Also see . . . Jared Dixon Sheldon. A biography written by the Hon. Win. J Davis and published in An Illustrated History of Sacramento County, Published by Lewis Publishing Company, 1890. (Submitted on November 13, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,182 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 13, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 2, 3. submitted on November 14, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 4. submitted on March 7, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.