Forkland in Greene County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
St. Johnís Church
Admitted to parish status in 1838 by the Rt. Rev. Jackson Kemper, Provisional Bishop of Alabama. First Rector was the Rev. John Avery, D.D.
Present building designed by Mr. Richard Upjohn, renowned American architect and founder of the American Institute of Architects. Erected in 1859 and moved across the Warrior River to its present location in 1878.
Erected 1972 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 32° 39.056′ N, 87° 52.893′ W. Marker is in Forkland, Alabama, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of Demopolis Highway (U.S. 43) and A. L. Isaac Road, on the right when traveling south on Demopolis Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forkland AL 36740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Bluff (approx. 9.3 miles away); Bluff HallTemple BíNai Jeshurun (approx. 9.4 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 9.4 miles away); Marengo County Confederate Monument (approx. 9Ĺ miles away); The Demopolis Opera House / Lillian Hellman And (approx. 9Ĺ miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 9Ĺ miles away); Alabama Cattlemenís Association (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 752 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 14, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.