Florence in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wilson School / Wilson High School
Wilson School, later Wilson High School, was the first public school in Florence, and stood here from 1866 to 1906. At first a private school for black children, it was established by the New England Branch of the Freedmen’s Union Commission and operated by the Freedmen’s Bureau. Thomas C. Cox, its first principal, later served as Darlington County sheriff. The school became a public school after the S.C. Constitution of 1868 authorized a system of free public schools.
Wilson High School
Rev. Joshua E. Wilson (1844-1915), a Methodist minister, was an early principal of what was long called “the Colored Graded School.” It was most likely named Wilson School for him. The school on this site, a frame building, was torn down in 1906 to make was for Central School. A new Wilson School was built on Athens Street. Wilson High School was on Athens Street 1906-1956 and on North Irby Street 1956-1982. It has been on Old Marion Highway since 1982.
Erected 2010 by the Wilson High School Alumni Association, Inc. (Marker Number 21-31.)
Topics. African Americans • Education.
Location. 34° 11.613′ N, 79° 45.957′ W. Marker is in Florence, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is on E. Palmetto St. (U.S. 76) just from S. Dargan Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence SC 29501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry Timrod (approx. 0.6 miles away); William H. Johnson Birthplace (approx. ¾ mile away); The Cruiser Pee Dee, C.S.N. (approx. ¾ mile away); World War II Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); All Gave Some – Some Gave All (approx. 0.8 miles away); Brooke Rifled Cannon, VI.4-inch (approx. 0.8 miles away); Guns of the CSS Peedee (approx. 0.8 miles away); Brooke Rifled Cannon, VII-inch (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 673 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.