“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marion in Marion County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)

Marion Depot

Marion Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cindy Bullard, November 8, 2010
1. Marion Depot Marker
Inscription.  This one-story brick passenger depot, typical of the period, was built in 1908 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. The first railroad through Marion was the Wilmington & Manchester Railroad, completed here in 1854 and later incorporated into the Atlantic Coast Line when that railroad was created in 1900. This depot replaced an earlier frame passenger station and closed in 1966. The City of Marion renovated the building in 2004-05.
Erected 2009 by the Marion Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 34-15.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. 34° 11.008′ N, 79° 23.883′ W. Marker is in Marion, South Carolina, in Marion County. Marker is on E. Bobby Gerard Pkwy.. Marker is located 2 blocks east of Main St. near Railroad Ave. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 E Bobby Gerald Pkwy, Marion SC 29571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Francis Marion (approx. 0.3 miles away); Marion County / Marion Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); To the Dead and Living Confederate Soldiers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Town Hall and Opera House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Marion Academy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Naval Gun (approx. 0.4 miles away); Marion County Museum (approx. 0.4 miles away); Marion Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 20 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Jun. 8, 2023