Near Bennettsville in Marlboro County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Grave Of General Tristram Thomas / Saw Mill Baptist Church
Grave of General Tristram Thomas
In Saw Mill Church cemetery is the grave of Tristram Thomas, major of militia during the Revolution. At Hunt's Bluff, ten miles south, a band of Patriots under his command seized a British flotilla in 1780. He served as legislator, as first Brigadier General of the Cheraw Militia, and as commissioner for locating the county seat.
Saw Mill Baptist Church
In 1785 Philip Pledger donated to the Cheraw Hill Baptist Church a tract of land here adjoining his saw mill. Pledger's Saw Mill Church was eventually constituted in 1820 as a separate church. The original congregation relocated in 1832 as Bennettsville Church. Sawmill Church today is a member of the S. C. Baptist Educational and Missionary Convention.
Erected 1974 by Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission. (Marker Number 35-18.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 34° 37.732′ N, 79° 46.301′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bennettsville SC 29512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marlborough Court House / Old River Road (approx. 3.2 miles away); John Lowndes McLaurin (approx. 3.7 miles away); D.D. McColl House / D.D. McColl House (approx. 4.9 miles away); Marlborough County Court House (approx. 5 miles away); Bennettsville (approx. 5 miles away); Confederate Civil War Monument (approx. 5.1 miles away); General John McQueen (approx. 5.1 miles away); Bennettsville Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bennettsville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study the marker shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,355 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.