Mount Pleasant Home for Destitute Children
At this site in 1881, Abby Munro, a Quaker from Philadelphia, established a home for orphans, neglected, and destitute children. Funds to purchase and operate the home were solicited locally and from friends in the North. It was incorporated in 1883 and is believed to have been the first orphanage for colored children in the State.
Room and board cost approximately one dollar a week per child. The children were taught to cook, wash, iron, knit, sew, mend clothes, and all the duties of a household. The older children attended school regularly and made commendable progress in their studies. The orphanage operated here until the building was destroyed by fire in 1920.
Erected 2007 by Town of Mount Pleasant.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Education.
Location. 32° 47.194′ N, 79° 52.64′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Bennett
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pitt Street Merchants (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Whilden House / 54th Massachusetts Regiment (about 400 feet away); St. Andrew's Church (about 700 feet away); Etiwan Masonic Lodge (about 800 feet away); Darby Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hibben House / British Occupation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hibben House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2010. This page has been viewed 680 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2010. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.