Bennettsville in Marlboro County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
J.F. Kinney House / P.M. Kinney House
J.F. Kinney House
This house was built as a one-story residence in 1902 for Dr. John Frank Kinney (1870-1928) and his wife Florence McLeod Kinney (1874-1936). They added a second story and wraparound porch in 1907 and raised their five children here. Kinney was educated at Wofford College and the Medical College of S.C. He was county physician for 28 years, served on the Bennettsville Board of Health, and was also president of the Pee Dee Medical Association.
P.M. Kinney House
In 1929 J.F. Kinney’s son, Dr. Prentiss McLeod Kinney (1899-1977), bought this house; he lived here with his wife Adelaide Smith Kinney (1899-1984). Kinney, educated at Wofford, the U. of Ga., and the Medical College of S.C., practiced medicine in Marlboro County for more than 50 years. During World War II he commanded a company and a battalion in the U.S. Army in Europe. He willed this house to the county, and it became the Marlboro County Historical Museum in 1997.
Erected 2007 by the Marlborough Historical Society. (Marker Number 35-34.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 S Marlboro St, Bennettsville SC 29512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Female Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Jennings-Brown House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bennettsville Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); General John McQueen (about 400 feet away); Murchison School (about 500 feet away); Bennettsville (about 600 feet away); Confederate Civil War Monument (about 600 feet away); Shiness (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bennettsville.
Also see . . . Marlboro County Museum. (Submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina.)
Topics. This marker is included in this topic list: Notable Buildings
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 535 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.