Bennettsville in Marlboro County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Murchison School, built in 1902, was named for John D. Murchison (1826-1892), a merchant and the first mayor of Bennettsville. It was given to the city in his memory by his widow, former teacher Harriet Murchison Beckwith (1855-1927). This Romanesque Revival school features a central bell tower with a terra cotta tablet over its ornate arched entrance. It was designed by Denver architect John J. Huddart and built by contractor W.T. Wilkins of Florence.
Murchison School was an elementary and high school from 1902 to 1918, when Bennettsville High School was built next to it, and an elementary school from 1918 until it closed in 1989. The auditorium has hosted many civic events, club meetings, and theater productions. During World War II its balcony was renovated to house a dual library for this school and Bennettsville High after the high school burned. The balcony was later restored to its original appearance.
Erected 2008 by the Marlborough Historical Society. (Marker Number 35-35.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
Location. 34° 36.87′ N, 79° 40.923′ W. Marker is in Bennettsville, South Carolina, in Marlboro County. Marker is on S. Marlboro St.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Fayetteville Ave, Bennettsville SC 29512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shiness (a few steps from this marker); J.F. Kinney House / P.M. Kinney House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bennettsville Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Old Female Academy (about 600 feet away); Jennings-Brown House (about 700 feet away); Edward Crosland House (about 800 feet away); General John McQueen (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bennettsville (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bennettsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,170 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.