Demopolis in Marengo County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Demopolis Methodist Church
first building erected 1840-43 (remodeled 1848) on lot donated by the Rev. A. J. Crawford
two early pastors became bishops: John C. Keener (1843-44) and Holland N. McTyeire (1846)
present building erected 1895-96 B. D. Price of Philadelphia, architect dedicated April 24, 1904, by Bishop W. W. Candler
Erected 1983 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 30.84′ N, 87° 50.182′ W. Marker is in Demopolis, Alabama, in Marengo County. Marker is on South Strawberry Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East Decatur Street, Demopolis AL 36732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Leo’s Catholic Church (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Demopolis Theater District (approx. ¼ mile away); Alabama Cattlemen’s Association (approx. ¼ mile away); The Demopolis Opera House / Lillian Hellman AndFirst Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Marengo County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gaineswood (approx. 0.4 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Demopolis.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 675 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 16, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.