Ocean View in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Marinerís Bethel United Methodist Church
During the spring of 1779, Methodist pioneer Freeborn Garrettson visited this area to bring the message of his faith to the people. Garrettsonís efforts were favorably received, and a number of local Methodist “societies” were organized. Among these was the Cedar Neck Society, and it is to this group that the origin of this church can be traced. While local “class meetings” were often held outside or in private residences, for many years members were forced to travel some distance to worship in a church.
On October 1, 1858, the society purchased a small lot of land at this location on which a church was to be constructed. The building was completed and dedicated the following year. The church became known as “Marinerís Bethel” in recognition of the occupation of many of its members. On June 16, 1894, four acres of adjoining land were purchased for the purposes of building a new church and expanding the cemetery. The new building was completed in 1889.
A community hall was added to the sanctuary in 1926, and then replaced with the construction of a new education building that was
Erected 1998 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-124.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1872.
Location. 38° 32.644′ N, 75° 5.474′ W. Marker is in Ocean View, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Central Avenue (County Road 84) near Vines Creek Road (State Route 26), on the right when traveling east. Located at the cemetery driveway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ocean View DE 19970, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ocean View Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Evans-West House (approx. ľ mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. ľ mile away); Ocean View Delaware (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tunnell-West House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (third marker) (approx. 1.6 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (first marker)Our Community's Role in World War II (second marker) (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ocean View.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.