Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Meadow Brook in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Williamson's Bridge

 
 
Williamson's Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cindy Bullard, November 10, 2010
1. Williamson's Bridge Marker
Inscription.  Williamson's Bridge was built over Black Creek by 1771. In 1780 a part of Brig. Gen. Francis Marion's S.C. militia brigade – the "Pee Dee Regiment" or "Cheraws Militia" under Lt. Col. Lamuel Benton (1754-1818) – clashed with Loyalists here. Benton's militiamen forced the Tories from the bridge, pursued them for some distance, and finally routed them in hand-to-hand combat.
 
Erected 2000 by the Darlington County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16-40.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1771.
 
Location. 34° 16.219′ N, 79° 47.201′ W. Marker is near Meadow Brook, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is on S. Charleston Rd., on the right when traveling north. Marker at Bear Creek. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darlington SC 29532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Andrew Hunter (approx. 0.9 miles away); Moses S. Haynsworth (approx. 1.9 miles away); Samuel Bacot 1745-1795 (approx.
Black Creek image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cindy Bullard, November 10, 2010
2. Black Creek
Click or scan to see
this page online
2 miles away); Attempted Ambush (approx. 3.7 miles away); Ney School / Back Swamp School (approx. 3.9 miles away); Darlington Memorial Cemetery (approx. 4½ miles away); Edmund H. Deas (approx. 4.7 miles away); Grove Hill Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 685 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=38104

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 20, 2022