Hartsville in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hartsville Oil Mill
The Hartsville Oil Mill, founded in 1900 by J.L. Coker, D.R. Coker, and J.J. Lawton, stood here until 1993. A cotton oil mill, it crushed cottonseed to produce cooking oil; meal and cake for feed and fertilizer; and lint for stuffing and explosives. It was chartered in 1909 with Lawton as president, treasurer, and general manager; Albert Jordan as secretary; and C.G. Timberlake as superintendent.
The mill office, still standing at this site, was built in 1915. Under the leadership of president E.H. Lawton, Sr., the mill was converted from hydraulic presses to screw presses in 1954. The mill began extracting oil and meal from soybeans by 1957. The company sold the Hartsville mill in 1981 and moved its headquarters to Darlington. In 2000 it was the last cotton oil mill still operating in S.C.
Erected 2000 by Hartsville Museum. (Marker Number 16-42.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 34° 22.37′ N, 80° 4.335′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hartsville SC 29550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hartsville Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); John L. Hart / John Hart House (approx. 0.3 miles away); David Robert Coker 1870-1938 (approx. 0.3 miles away); James Lide Coker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Welsh Neck High School / Coker College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hartsville Graded School / Mt. Pisgah Nursery School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carolina Fiber Co. / Sonoco Products Company (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,687 times since then and 386 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.