Society Hill in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Society Hill Library Society
On June 5, 1822, twelve men paid $20 each to purchase books for a library. These men were J. J. Evans; David and Elias Gregg; D. R. W., J. K. and T. E. McIver; Thomas Smith; Alexander Sparks; D. R. and J. N. Williams; J. F. Wilson; and J. D. Witherspoon. On December 7, 1822 the men formed the Society Hill Library Society.
This society was incorporated Dec. 20, 1823 and by 1826 was located in a structure about 900 ft. N. on land given by John D. Witherspoon. Elias Gregg is thought to have been the first librarian, serving until 1844. The library building was moved from its original site on Main St. to the St. David's Academy lot here about 1932. It was taken into the county library system in 1971.
Erected 1990 by South Carolina Society of Colonial Dames XVII Century. (Marker Number 16-26.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Society Hill SC 29593, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Society Hill Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Caleb Coker House (a few steps from this marker); Trinity Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry C. Burn House (approx. ¼ mile away); Zachariah W. Wines (approx. ¼ mile away); Lawrence Faulkner / Simon Brown (approx. ¼ mile away); St. David's Academy (approx. ¼ mile away); Japonica Hall / Maj. J.J. Lucas (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Society Hill.
Also see . . . Welsh Neck-Long Bluff-Society Hill Historic District National Register of Historic Places Nom. Form. (Submitted on November 21, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 631 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 3. submitted on November 21, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 4. submitted on November 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.