Near Oates in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
William Andrew Dowling
Erected 1979 by The Dr. Henry Woodward Chapter of the S.C. State Society, Daughters of American Colonists. (Marker Number 16-20.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Colonists series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 34° 16.053′ N, 80° 0.915′ W. Marker is near Oates, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is on East Seven Pines Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darlington SC 29532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Laurie M. Lawson (approx. 2 miles away); Oates (approx. Swift Creek Baptist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); St. John Methodist Church / St. John Methodist Church Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Wesley Chapel (approx. 4.6 miles away); Lydia Rural Fire Dept. (approx. 5˝ miles away); Darlington Raceway (approx. 6.6 miles away); Coker's Pedigreed Seed Company /Coker Experimental Farms (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oates.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 643 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.