Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
De L Aigle Brick Yard
Erected by Works Progress Administration (WPA), State of Georgia. (Marker Number US 1 A11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
Location. 33° 27.915′ N, 81° 57.315′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of DeLaigle Avenue and 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north on DeLaigle Avenue. Located inside Magnolia Cemetery- 3rd Street and Walton Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers De L Aigle Brick Yards (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thankful Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); Magnolia Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Troop K Georgia Cavalry (approx. ¼ mile away); Georgia’s First School of Medicine (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bicentennial Augusta, Ga (approx. 0.3 miles away); Veterans of All Wars (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Old Government House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Regarding De L Aigle Brick Yard. Wealthy Nicholas de l'Aigle donated part of his plantation and brick yard to the city making a total of 60 acres for the Magnolia Cemetery. The de l'Aigle family lost a son, Armand, to the Confederacy. He was killed at Savage Station, Va. in June 1862, brought home and buried here in March, 1863.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,128 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on November 18, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.