Port Chester in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Village of Port Chester
Village of Port Chester
State of New York
County of Westchester
Town of Rye
On March 11, 1837, the settlement of "The Saw Pits" was renamed "Port Chester". On May 14, 1868, it was incorporated into a village. "Port" is another word for haven. Port Chester has always been a refuge for immigrants seeking a better way of life.
This site abuts "Liberty Square", the center of the village and the site of mustering soldiers during both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. It is the hub of village activity.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 11, 1837.
Location. 41° 0.048′ N, 73° 39.806′ W. Marker is in Port Chester, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 1) and Westchester Avenue, on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16 North Main Street, Port Chester NY 10573, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Port Chester Spanish American War Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory of Newell Rising (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rye Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Byram Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away in Connecticut); Christopher Columbus (approx. half a mile away); Port Chester World War I Monument (approx. 0.7 miles away); Port Chester World War II Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Luigi Del Bianco Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Chester.
Also see . . .
1. village of Port Chester, New York. (Submitted on November 19, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Port Chester, New York on Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 19, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 943 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.