Lordsburg in Hidalgo County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Women of Shakespeare
Emma Marble Muir (1873–1959)
Rita Wells Hill (1901–1985)
Janaloo Hill Hough (1939–2005)
Emma Marble Muir arrived at the mining town of Shakespeare in 1882. She and her daughter, Rita Wells Muir, learned to appreciate and preserve the town's history. Rita and her husband bought Shakespeare as part of their ranch in 1935. Rita passed the ranch to her daughter, Janaloo Hill Hough.
(Back of marker):
Janaloo and her husband continued fighting for the history and preservation of Shakespeare. Investing their own resources, they rebuilt some of the buildings destroyed by a fire in 1997. Without the dedication of this mother, daughter and granddaughter, the ghost town of Shakespeare would not exist today.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Women. In addition, it is included in the New Mexico Women’s Historic Marker Initiative series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 32° 21.117′ N, 108° 44.583′ W. Marker is in LordsburgTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lordsburg NM 88045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lordsburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Shakespeare (within shouting distance of this marker); Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lordsburg (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lordsburg-Hidalgo Library (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Lordsburg (approx. 2˝ miles away); Camp Lordsburg (approx. 3.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 775 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 20, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.