Kenosha in Kenosha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Colonel Michael Frank
Father of Wisconsin Public Schools
On Feb. 24, 1845, as Territorial Legislator, he secured enactment of law authorizing free public education in Southport only. As a result first free school in the Union outside of New England opened in Southport, now Kenosha, June 18, 1845. This school and his continued efforts led to adoption of provision for free schools in the Wisconsin constitution.
[Erected] June 18, 1945
Erected 1945 by Kenosha County Historical Society.
Location. 42° 34.439′ N, 87° 49.201′ W. Marker is in Kenosha, Wisconsin, in Kenosha County. Marker is in Green Ridge Cemetery, near the 66th Street fence, about 200 feet east of the intersection of 66th Street and 8th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6604 7th Avenue, Kenosha WI 53143, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Revolutionary War Veterans (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John McCaffery Burial Site (about 500 feet away); John Bullen (about 600 feet away); Kenosha Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away); Lovell G.A.R. Post 230 Civil War Memorial (about 800 feet away); Kemper Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Charles Durkee Mansion (approx. 0.3 miles away); Birthplace of Orson Welles (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenosha.
Regarding Colonel Michael Frank. In 1838, Michael Frank was named commander (colonel) of the 4th Regiment, Wisconsin Territorial Militia.
Also see . . .
1. The Beginnings of Free Schools in Wisconsin. (Submitted on November 20, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Brief History of the Kenosha Unified School District. (Submitted on November 20, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Education • Government & Politics
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 721 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 20, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.