Alexandria in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Kent Plantation House
Erected by In Memory of Mrs. Robert H. Bolton, President, 1968-70, Chairman, 1970-72.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 31° 18.244′ N, 92° 28.965′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Bayou Rapides Road (State Highway 496) west of North MacArthur Drive (U.S. 71), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3601 Bayou Rapides Road, Alexandria LA 71303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Louisiana Baptist Convention (approx. 1.2 miles away); Cook Home (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Jewish Temple (approx. 1.7 miles away); St. James Episcopal Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Little Walter (approx. 2 miles away); Alexandria's Oldest HospitalReflection of a Youth/We Must Not Forget (approx. 2.1 miles away); Central Louisiana Connection (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Also see . . . Kent Plantation House. (Submitted on November 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
1. Kent Plantation during the Civil War.
Kent House is a raised French-Creole cottage, built circa 1796, and is the oldest remaining structure in central Louisiana. During the Civil War, the courageous owner, Robert Hynson, who had purchased the house from Baillio heirs in 1842, refused to leave his home, thus preventing Union troops retreating from the Battle of Mansfield from setting it on fire. Unfortunately, Hynson could not save his stock or outbuildings from the ravaging army. Many of Kent House's destroyed structures are replicated with antebellum buildings from other plantations. The complex includes a kitchen, slave cabins, carriage house, milk house, blacksmith shop, and sugar mill.
— Submitted June 20, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery,
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,096 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 6. submitted on August 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on November 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.