Nokomis in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
One of the area's oldest educational institutions, the Nokomis School, was built in 1924 on Nippino Trail. The photo shows the two-room Mediterranean Revival style school.
Originally, children in grades one through eight attended the school. A bus carried high school students to the only high school in the county, Sarasota High. In 1927, two wings of three classrooms each were added to the original structure to accommodate students from Laurel, Nokomis, Venice, and Englewood in grades 9 through 12. In 1930, the first class of eight seniors graduated.
Those first eight seniors established a school newspaper and yearbook, boys' basketball and football teams, glee club, and a Declamation and Drama Club. They competed in statewide contests.
Over the years a growing population led to additions to the campus. In 1953 the elementary students moved to a new and larger campus in Venice. Venice High School opened in 1955 and the Nokomis school closed. In the fall about 125 Nokomis area children were transferred back to the Nokomis School because of over-crowding at the new Venice Elementary.
From 1921 to the early 1940s, there had been an elementary school for African American students in Laurel. Thereafter these children were bused to schools in north Sarasota. When the County Board of Public Instruction launched a countywide desegregation program in 1963, all Nokomis and Laurel elementary students attended Nokomis Elementary School. In 1970, the original school building was demolished and replaced by a complex of prefabricated classrooms. Precipitated by a water supply crisis, the Nokomis School campus was closed in June 1992 and the school moved to the new modern well-equipped Laurel Middle School.
Erected 2003 by Sarasota County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 27° 7.044′ N, 82° 26.81′ W. Marker is in Nokomis, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker is on Nippino Trail East east of North Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41), on the right when traveling east. This historical marker is located in front of the existing public building that is adjacent just Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nokomis FL 34275, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of Nokomis / Fred Albee (approx. 0.2 miles away); Curry Family / Wading Birds (approx. ¼ mile away); Turpentine / Venice Ice House (approx. ¼ mile away); Knight Memorial/Area First Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Shakett Creek / Estuary "the cradle of the ocean" (approx. 0.7 miles away); Venice Post Office (approx. 0.9 miles away); Johnson Chapel / Albee Quarters (approx. 0.9 miles away); San Marco Hotel (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nokomis.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 604 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 24, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.